Backyard Volcano And Other Mysteries Of The Heart by Kathryn Lane.
Stand-Alone Short Story Collection.
These stories help define the world of the Texas-Mexico Frontier—an explosive world where lives break, loves shatter, and healing happens.
Kathryn Lane, a native of Mexico, explores this world, leading readers on a journey through time and geography with the promise of magic and transformation.
Review: Like an ancient volcano slowly belching up its past sins, this book takes you on a journey from the mountains of Mexico to the frontera of South Texas, each eruption a story leaving you scarred from past violence’s bleeding onto the current page. Pick up Kathryn Lane’s book–it will fill you with heartache and sadness but also with a sense of the realities of living border lives like volcanos in the backyard…. Review by Christopher Carmona, author of The Road to Llorna Park and I Have Always Been Here. This text refers to the paperback edition.
Paperback: 200 Pages
Publisher: Alamo Bay Press (April 11, 2017)
Adult Readers: Short Stories (Mysteries Of The Heart)
Adult Readers: Mysteries (Short Stories)
About Kathryn Lane: Kathryn Lane, award-winning author of the Nikki Garcia Thriller series, sets her novels and short stories in foreign countries and exotic places.
Kathryn credits her imagination to growing up in Mexico, a country which was rich in storytelling and steeped in cultural traditions. Her creativity was first expressed by painting in oils and when reality of earning a living set in, she studied accounting and finance, and joined a multinational corporation where she attained her dream job of traveling abroad.
After two decades in the corporate world and having visited over 90 countries, Kathryn left to fulfill a second dream – writing mystery and suspense novels.
Fans of strong female protagonists and suspenseful stories are likely to enjoy Kathryn’s work. The Nikki Garcia thrillers include:
Missing in Miami – the latest release in the Nikki Garcia Mystery series. Launch Feb 23, 2022.
Revenge in Barcelona – Silver Winner, Mystery/Thriller, Reader Views, 2019-2020. Finalist in the 2020 Eric Hoffer Book Awards. Also, Finalist in the Next Generation Book Awards for 2020.
Waking Up in Medellin – named Best Fiction Book of the Year 2017 by Killer Nashville. Also available in Spanish edition “Despertando en Medellin”
Danger in the Coyote Zone – first place winner in the Action/Adventure category in Latino Books into Movies 2018. It was also a finalist in the Thriller category at Killer Nashville 2018.
Kathryn’s short story collection, Backyard Volcano and Other Mysteries of the Heart, was named Best Short Story Collection 2018 by Killer Nashville.
Kathryn and her husband, Bob Hurt, split their time between Texas and the mountains of northern New Mexico. www.kathryn-lane.com
Award winning author Kathryn Lane’s debut novel, Waking Up in Medellin (in the Nikki Garcia Thriller Series from Pen-L Publishing) won:
- Silver Falchion for Best Fiction Book of the Year 2017 by Killer Nashville.
- Silver Falchion for Best Fiction Adult Suspense 2017 by Killer Nashville.
- Pinnacle Fiction Achievement Award (Fall 2016) by National Association of Book Entrepreneurs.
- 2nd Runner Up for the RONE Award (Mystery category 2017) by Ind’tale Magazine.
- Silver Medal for the Readers Favorite Book Awards (2017 Fiction Thriller).
The second novel in the Nikki Garcia Thriller Series, Coyote Zone, presents you with:
- High stakes danger in a kidnapping and human trafficking story.
- Other subplots woven into the plot, such as romance, making this an exciting read.
- The International Thriller Writers (ITW) Magazine “Big Thrill” provides an advanced review.
Kathryn’s collection of short stories, Backyard Volcano, (from Alamo Bay Press) will give you:
- A fusion between fantasy and reality.
- Symbolism, punctuated by hints of surrealism.
- Stories with unusual twists and turns – events in everyday life in Latin cultures.
Additionally, her short stories have been published by:
- The Texas A&M New Border Voices: An Anthology.
- Arriba Baseball! From VAO Publishing.
- Swirl Literary Journal from Lone Star College-Montgomery Campus.
- Alamo Bay Writers Anthology.
- The Association of Writing & Writing Programs (AWP) featured Kathryn as a reader on the panel of Arriba Baseball! In Seattle in February 2014.
Kathryn’s activities in poetry include:
- Serving on the panel of judges at Carver High School in Houston, Texas, for their finals in the Poetry Out Loud contest.
- Being published in numerous anthologies, journals.
- Two chapbooks, A Conversation on India and Spirit Rocks.
Amazon Author’s Page
Sign up for HER Newsletter:
Author’s Page At Book Marketing Global Network: